Remote Control Cars the History of Radio-Controlled Devices
Remote Control Cars the History of Radio-Controlled Devices Radio controlled devices have gained popularity as hobby items apart from being used for various other purposes. Building, modifying, and driving radio-controlled vehicles is a favorite pastime of radio control enthusiasts. (“The History of Radio-Controlled Devices – Blogger”) The sport involves displaying the skills of the person in managing the device efficiently.
Remote- or radio-controlled devices are controlled from a remote distance. Jagdish Chandra Bose was the first to demonstrate remote controlled activity when he set alight gun powder to strike a gong using electromagnetic radiation, from a distance. Tesla was the first to show the use of a transmitter and receiver to remotely control a ship. (“Radio Controlled Craft”) “He showed how mechanical gadgets could be controlled using the wireless principle in the year 1898” (“Radio Controlled Devices – Their History Revealed”)
He also began the construction of a wireless tower that remained incomplete due to lack of finance. Tesla can be said to have created the basis for the design of radio-controlled devices which are in use today. The American inventor Armstrong said, “The world will long have to wait for a mind equal to Tesla’s, a mind of such creative possibilities and such wealth of imagination.” (“The History of Radio-Controlled Devices – Blogger”)
Remote controlled devices are also known commonly as RC devices- RC meaning radio controlled. Dr. William and Walter Good, two twin brothers, created and flew the first radio-controlled airplane in 1937. Dr. William was a radio specialist whereas his brother Walter built aero models. (“The History of Radio-Controlled Devices – Blogger”) They combined both their skills to create a radio-controlled airplane. The principle of radio control was also used in World War II. “From the 1960s, transistors were available, and this revolutionized the circuits to make them compact and light.” (“The History of Radio-Controlled Devices – Blogger”)
Sometime during the mid or late 1960s, the British company Mahdavi, began producing the first commercially feasible remote-controlled cars. The first gas powered, or nitro cars were sold in the early 1970s in Leicester, where the company was based. Radio controlled devices need a control transmitter, a throttle trigger, and wheels for turning, while the receiver is in the body of the toy. These models run on either electricity or fuel. Electrical speed control is used in electrical models, whereas radio control mechanisms are used in fuel control systems to regulate the fuel input. (“The History of Radio-Controlled Devices – Blogger”)
“Toy grade devices are usually assembled models available at retail shops and are much cheaper than hobby grade models.” (“The History of Radio-Controlled Devices – Blogger”) The toy grade models use electric power and run-on batteries. Hobby grade radio-controlled devices are more serviceable and durable but are expensive. They run on fuel like gasoline or nitro and unlike toy models which are ready made, these require assembling of the various components. (“Radio Controlled Craft”)
RC devices come in the form of cars, airplanes, boats, and helicopters. (“The History of Radio-Controlled Devices – Blogger”) Remote controlled cars are used for racing, and this is an immensely popular sport among car enthusiasts. Small cars and toys are used for indoor games. Radio control technology is combined with robotics to create various devices used in international robotics contests held in Japan. (“The History of Radio-Controlled Devices – Blogger”)
There are numerous uses for radio control technology and vehicles are only one aspect of it. (“Industrial Wireless Controls”) Radio controlled hobbies can be enjoyed in many ways and combined with robotics, they open wider possibilities for the hobbyists.
Radio Controlled Devices –Hobby Grade Toys
Radio controlled or remote controlled (RC) devices can be hobby grade or toy grade. Toy grade RC devices are regularly available at retail toy stores and may be purchased by people for their children to play with. (“7 Radio Controlled Toys – What Makes Them So Popular? – RC World Store”) These are mostly toys produced in bulk quantities and comprise of nonservice able parts. The RC toys cannot be used outside as they are not rugged enough to take the strain of the terrain outdoors. Most of the radio-controlled toy grade devices are not durable as they are made from soft materials that are easily breakable. These items are ready to use and thus require no assembling of parts. Since they run on battery cells, all you need to do is place the batteries in the case and your toy is ready to play. (“7 Best RC Toys for Kids and Adults – Gift Planning 101”)
Hobby grade radio-controlled devices are meant for the serious enthusiast. These devices are simple in their design and can be remodeled, serviced, and reused. The material is durable, and the items are usually custom made. These devices need to be assembled more often, but the stores may deliver the assembled piece, if you so wish.
A serious hobbyist will always prefer to buy the kit and do the assembling himself. This is a creative art that hobbyists indulge in, apart from participating in various competitions. There are sporting events held for the RC enthusiasts that have their own rules for the game. (“Robot Car Toys – Robots for Kids”)
The several types of radio-controlled toys available presently are described below:
- Airplanes: The RC airplane is available in various shapes and sizes, from gas turbine driven models to the smaller flyers. They can be tied to a pole with the help of a rope, or they can be free flying. They can be fuel driven or electrically propelled and the latest models can even reach speeds of 250mph. (“7 Radio Controlled Toys – What Makes Them So Popular? – RC World Store”)
Since the RC airplanes are complex toys, they require some amount of control and knowledge of flying. (“Radio Controlled Devices – Hobby Grade Toys”) Therefore, adult supervision is required during flying, and they are not suitable for incredibly young children. “The airborne RC models are among the most expensive and a crash may result in damage that may prove to be very costly.” (“7 Best RC Toys for Kids and Adults – Gift Planning 101”)
- RC Cars: Cars are the most common and the most popular among RC toys. The cars are either fuel driven or electrically powered. These can be operated even by children and are much safer compared to airborne devices. (“7 Best RC Toys for Kids and Adults – Gift Planning 101”) The RC cars may be used in on-road or off-road RC car races. The RC car models come in many sizes and shapes.
- RC Helicopters: This is another airborne device. However, its design and flying pattern is different from that of an airplane. Some enthusiasts prefer it to the airplane as they claim it to be much more interesting for flying. The same factors of airplanes apply to helicopters too. (“7 Best RC Toys for Kids and Adults – Gift Planning 101”)
- RC Boat: The first radio-controlled toy to be created was a boat as demonstrated by Tesla. He showed the public, a boat that obeyed people’s command. He was remotely controlling the boat. (“7 Radio Controlled Toys – What Makes Them So Popular? – RC World Store”)
- Robotics: Robotics is popular in Japan, but the western world is also fast catching up. There are competitions held for the best robot created in terms of design and creativity. Robotics is moving to the latest technology of artificial intelligence and voice control models. (“7 Radio Controlled Toys – What Makes Them So Popular? – RC World Store”) Radio control models are being used as toys and for remote handling of bombs and other activities involving danger.
Best Wishes, Coyalita
See Tomorrow: “Different Types of RC Car Bodies”
Just use your name and valid email address – I will never sell or share your email address with anyone. Never. You may unsubscribe anytime. I hate spam just as much as you do.