Food and Wine Pairing
A Sensory Experience
My goal in writing this book is to present a practical approach to the process of food and wine pairing. Food and Wine Pairing: A Sensory Experience provides students with a clear understanding of the direct and interacting effects of food and wine elements on the perception of match.
The target audience for this book is undergraduate students (hospitality, culinary arts, and tourism), graduate students with an interest in gastronomy, industry professionals, and other individuals who have an interest in wine and food.
While this book covers many fundamental concepts of wine evaluation and service, my goal in writing the book was to integrate my background in the culinary arts, business, and sensory analysis to present a contemporary, hands-on approach to this topic area.
In other words, my approach looks at the process of food and wine pairing from a culinary perspective first and assumes wine provides an additional opportunity for layering of components, texture, and flavor as part of the dining experience.
This book provides comprehensive coverage of the key food and wine pairing concepts in a concise and reader-friendly manner. It is organized into five parts, with each section building on the preceding ones.
PART A: Mastering the Art and Science of Food and Wine Pairing
The first section discusses the hierarchy of taste concept, the basics of wine evaluation, and the notion of gastronomic identity.
PART B: The Foundation: Wine and Food Taste Components
These chapters provide information on the foundation tastes of sweet, sour, salt, and bitter in food and the qualities of dryness, acidity, and effervescence in wine.
PART C: Wine and Food Texture Characteristics
This section addresses wine texture (the impact of tannin, oak, and body), food texture (the impact of fattiness, cooking method, protein type, and body), and the interaction between wine and food texture elements.
PART D: Flavors: Architectural Elements in the Wine and Food Pairing Process
The chapters in this section discuss the implications of spice, flavor type, flavor intensity, and flavor persistency for wine and food matching.
PART E: The Whole Enchilada: Putting It All Together
This section summarizes the food and wine interactions developed in the first four sections and provides a systematic process for predicting match levels using sequential and mixed
In addition, it provides guidance on pairing wine with cheese, wine and dessert combinations, and service issues such as training and menu /wine list development.
xii Preface Pedagogical Features That Help Students
I have also included the following features within each chapter to enhance the students’ learning experience:
● Aperitifs are introductory discussions intended to whet the appetite before the main material in each chapter. Many feature various practitioners in the industry. Others cover specific issues and provide additional insight related to the topic at hand.
● Outlines correspond to the organization of the chapter and highlight the key sections and ideas to help students succeed in learning the material.
● Key terms are given at the beginning of each chapter, discussed within each chapter, and defined in the glossary at the end of the text.
● End-of-chapter summaries provide an overview of the main points covered in each chapter to help reinforce the material.
● Discussion questions help to reinforce comprehension of the key concepts covered in each chapter.
● Exercises provide students with meaningful experiences that highlight the direct impacts of food and wine components, texture, and flavor on the perception of match.
Each exercise builds on earlier ones to create a systematic process to develop skill in and understanding of the pairing process.
The exercises include objectives, procedures, materials needed, and evaluation sections that increase reflection on food and wine relationships.
● Recipes are provided for many of the exercises as well as additional recipes with wine selections to reinforce the concepts and provide opportunities for additional experimentation.
As you develop your knowledge of the key issues related to food and wine pairing (components, flavors, and textures; contrast or similarity; and a rudimentary understanding of flavor /component differences in wines of the world), your ability to predict exceptional food and wine pairings will greatly improve.
You will determine the ultimate food and wine parings through practice, practice, and more practice. Each food and wine practice session, in and of itself, can be a delightful, life-changing experience.
Read Much More Inside…
339 Pages of Fantastic and Glorious Information on Food and Wine Pairing
Grab Your Copy Now $169.95
On Sale Now for Limited Time @ $67